Research and Recording
- As the largest historic county in this country, Yorkshire has many important historic parks and gardens - click here for list on Parks & Gardens database.
- We have 9 Grade 1 and 23 Grade 2* landscapes on the English Heritage Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. For details click here. For more information on the Register, see the article on the Parks and Gardens database
- Some are lost, while others may be endangered by inappropriate development or neglect
- It is our aim therefore to improve the awareness and appreciation of our garden heritage through our publications.
- Preservation of the Jim Russell Archive - held at the Borthwick Institute, University of York:
- Historic Parks and Gardens in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The project, 2002-2006, was undertaken at the request of the YDNP, who also provided funding.
- Historic Parks and Gardens in the Yorkshire Dales National Park (YGT members only)
- Vicarage project. This ran from 2007-2009 and investigated a variety of vicarage gardens throughout the county to ascertain if common features could be established. As many vicarage gardens have now been divided up or built over it proved difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from this research.
- East Yorkshire Parks and Gardens
Further information please get in touch with our Secretary (email@example.com).